The Rhodes Scholarship is the oldest and most prestigious international scholarship program, enabling young people from around the world to study any course at the University of Oxford. It allows graduating seniors with ambitious goals for their graduate and professional careers to study for 2 years in any discipline. Rhodes Scholars are chosen for their character, commitment to others and to the common good, and for their potential leadership in their future careers. The scholarship covers tuition fees, a travel stipend, a living stipend, and international healthcare for 2 years. In some cases, the scholarship can be extended for a third year.
Scholarship AmountTuition fees, a living stipend, and a travel stipend
Annual Number of Scholarships Awarded
- ~100 per year
- ~32 from the U.S.
- Be a U.S. citizen, a U.S. permanent resident, or have active DACA program status by the time of application
- Be at least 18 years of age and not yet 24 years of age by October 1st of the year of application OR if your first undergraduate degree was completed later than usual, you must have not reached the age of 27 AND you must hold a bachelor's degree on or after October 1st of the prior calendar year
- Hold a bachelor's degree with at a 3.7 GPA or higher by the start of the award
- Academic excellence
- Energy to use your talents to the full potential demonstrated by your mastery in areas such as (including where teamwork is involved):
- Artistic pursuits
- Truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness and fellowship
- Moral force of character and instincts to lead and to take an interest in your fellow human beings
- Rhodes Application
- Personal Statement
- 5-8 letters of recommendation
- Most competitive applicants have 7-8 letters of recommendation
- University Endorsement
University Endorsement Process
University endorsement is a competitive process and not guaranteed. Students seeking University of Utah endorsement must submit certain application components by the University’s deadline.
Sabah Sial, a University of Utah senior majoring in finance, is one of 32 Rhodes Scholars named this month. Sial, from Sandy, was selected from among 2,300 U.S. applicants this year for the prestigious scholarship, which provides tuition and living expenses for two years of international graduate study at Oxford University. Sial plans to study […]Read More